Saturday, September 26, 2026

The addiction

 

It began with my after dinner walk. I try to walk for a while whenever I can. It helps me keep my blood sugar down because I am a type two diabetic. Counting carbs is a significant part of my life and when I'm good at it I even lose weight.

Lately I have been able to eat two meals a day with no snacks and I'm fine. Not hungry. Fine.

Tonight I got off the elevator in the lobby of my apartment building and someone had left a box of donuts on the sharing table! 

I eyed those donuts and told myself I should not eat one. I especially should not take the rest of the box back to my apartment. For so many reasons!

But I wanted one!

I told myself if I walked to the end of the hall and back someone would have come along and taken them away and I would have avoided the temptation. I walked, but they were still there when I got back!

I actually stood there contemplating all the "reasons" I could eat at least one. I've been doing good lately. I haven't raised my blood sugar in almost a week. I ate some bread yesterday and it didn't hurt me. etc etc  etc.

I quickly turned and went outside. I thought if I walked around the building maybe when I got back in those donuts would be gone! I thought I might even be able to walk around the building twice since I had my walker with me.

On my way around the building I ran into two people and we stood chatting for about fifteen minutes. I completely forgot about the donuts. Then I finished my walk and as I was reentering the front foyer of my building I remembered them! Maybe I would take just one it they were still there. Maybe I would only eat half of it!

I walked into the lobby and there were those four donuts calling to me! 

At the same time two women in the elevator called out asking if I wanted them to hold the door for me!

I nearly ran to get in that elevator and go back to my apartment.

Temptation averted! 

I think I am a food addict.



No comments: