Thursday, August 6, 2026

Shopping

 

I did something yesterday that I have not done in a very long time.

I went to the grocery store.

Now that may seem like a normal thing to most of you, but for me it has been an unattainable feat for over two years.

Both Kroger and Walmart are set up to make you walk blocks and blocks just to buy groceries, but both also have a pick up policy so that if you spend over a certain amount you can simply pick up your groceries in the car.

This requires a lot of planning in order to get the products I need. I have to make sure I have enough to reach the amount necessary and I have to wait until I do and go without until then.

Lately I have lost some more weight and have been able to cut my diabetes medicine down to a quarter of what it was. I have been forcing myself to walk, really amble, for fifteen minutes after every meal. And I have received a handicap card for my car. All these things made my short fifteen minute trip yesterday possible.

I only bought an onion and some celery and I checked out at the first register, because these things were close to the door, but it was a big step. I almost didn't get the onion because four employees working in produce were all very slowly stocking things and visiting with each other. Oblivious to me and another woman who were blocked from the yellow onions. But just before we gave up, they finally dispersed.

Then an elderly woman in an electric cart was ahead of me at checkout and the whole process took forever, but I made it! On my way out an employee made a special request that I put that basket right back where I got it, which I intended to do anyway.

 Part of me wanted to complain about inconsiderate employees, but another part of me thought how bleak their lives must be if all they do all day is corral carts, or sort vegetables for what is probably minimum wage. Instead I simply celebrated my first freedom to shop in a long time.



No comments: