It seems every person has that one something that keeps them going. Then they have the thing that makes them feel put up on enough to feel useful.
My sister likes to buy things. Other than that she like to push things, a mower, a vacuum, a rag for getting rid of spots.
My sister-in-law likes to collect things and cook. Her penance is dusting all those things she collects.
My brother likes to garden and ride his stand alone bike.. He does anything else his wife doesn't want to do.
One of my friends likes to travel to meet friends. He walks his dog several times a day.
Another writes homilies that he shares with the world. He cooks because he likes to eat.
I like to paint pictures. I also like to write. I enjoy reading. None of these things are suffering in any way, but the closest I come to a need for suffering is keeping my apartment and clothing moderately clean.
People no longer have to toil from morn til night just to live and yet we still need that carrot that gets us out of our chair and doing something. Our puritan heritage in this country tells us we must also suffer some if we want to be considered good people.
We are moving closer and closer to a sane world where suffering is not our reason for being. It doesn't make us lazy. It makes us happier and there is nothing wrong with that.
No comments:
Post a Comment